Pages

Wednesday 4 July 2018

Matariki Explanation

WALT: Write an Explanation writing piece to explane to people why Matariki is important to New Zealanders.

This is my Explanation writing:

Why is Matariki important to New Zealanders?

In New Zealand we celebrate a time called Matariki. It is a special constellation that starts during early June. In the constellation, there are seven stars that shine brightly in the clear sky that we are lucky to have.

First, Matariki is a special time that we remember our deceased loved ones. This is a time where all of the family members come together to celebrate with each other and share myths that are passed down through generations in the family. 

Secondly, there are myths that are told during Matariki to keep it exciting. The first one is that there are seven sisters who travel down to papatuanuku to share their knowledge with her. The other one I know is the brothers.One separated the Mother and Father.Tane (One of the
seven sons) get angry and pulled out his eyeballs and through them up into the sky and they are the Matariki stars.

Finally, Matariki is a time where we can begin growing some crops and harvesting some. We take the time to remember the gifts of the Matariki sisters such as Tupu-a-nuku. Her gift is helping us grow out crops and plants. She makes us medicine and clothing materials too. 

Matariki is a beautiful time that family and friends come together to celebrate the comeback of the seven stars. We remember our dead family and friends who are watching over us.
By Nevaeh

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hi Nevaeh,
    I am Moni from Room 6, I really like your conclusion for your Matariki, and my favourite part is when you said that we remember our dead family and friends who are watching over us, I really enjoy your explanation about Matariki. Next time can you please put on a picture to go with your document.
    Regards Moni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nevaeh,
    I really enjoyed reading this piece of writing, I loved how you wrote about myths,that bit interested me and something you could do better next time would be to extend a bit more on the paragraphs I really wanted to keep reading more.
    Keep up the fantastic work.
    Siobhan.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.